Category Archives: Journal


Thanks to a lot of help from John Prentice I was able to replace the centerboard on Pineapple Express (SR31 #105).
I posted some photos in an album, and shared with the Searunner group.

This was a pretty standard board, built mostly to plans, but a little thin and without the split hose padding — the original builder made the boat’s centerboard trunk narrower than plans, so the old board was always a tight fit.

3 sheets 3/8″ marine grade okume plywood
2 gallons system three silver tip epoxy
36 feet x 50″ fiberlay 3.6 oz cloth
2″ pvc tubing
3/4″ pvc tubing with caps

  • How we did it
    Laminated 3x 3/8″ Marine plywood
    Laid grid with pencil
    Drew shape with pencil
    Cut shape
    Made foil jig from thick plywood
    Draw contours with grid
    Cut guide grooves with skill saw and foil jig
    Shaved edges down with power plane
    Sanded fair
    Indented around pivot point
    Filled low spots with thickened epoxy
    Laid first layer of 3.6 oz cloth dry
    Lapped over 2″ on leading edge, kept trailing edge loose
    Laid 2nd layer of cloth wet
    Painted on cover coat
    Flip and repeat
    Fair the trailing edge with thick epoxy
    Thickener coat 12 oz with silica
    2x thin gloss coats 6oz each
    Bevel trailing edge 10° to one side to prevent oscillation
    Sand, wash weigh (98lbs) and cure 3 days



Picture 1 of 7

Boat Check

Hot and still on the water today. Ned a fan our two in the at cabin.
A little compressed air cleared out the cooling system on the motor.
Talked with Bruce of Legacy (across the fairway) over burgers in the shade.


Epoxy Weather

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA           Glueing in backstop for cockpit locker

Thought I would spend the weekend sailing, but actually, what I really value bachelor weekends for is epoxy. It’s bad for kids, need hot weather to cure properly, and holds my boat together.

So this weekend I glued in a new stop plate for the cockpit locker, reamed out a bit of rot around the anchor hatch, and patched up a dime-sized chunk taken out of the port ama bow by a passing Bayliner.

The System3 Rotfix was, as usual, way too drippy.  Smiths CPES is clearly better for rot and for sealing. System 3 with silica and wood filler held off long enough to work well on the bow patch. But system 3’s caulking gun tube didn’t do so well for the cockpit locker – wasn’t fully set on schedule and came loose when clamps removed.  West system 610 looks better for the caulk gun.


I also pulled out the forward window, and was pleased to find no rot or issues underneath. Now I’ll have to have a replacement made with 2″ of extra all around, and bend it to a 2″ camber over the length of the window.

Boat check


Forward cabin 80° | 45% | dry cubbies
Aft cabin 72° | 41° | starboard cubby wet
Electrical system 14v on solar alone
Boat looks clean and happy
Plans to free center board pennant, empty head and fill fresh water went smoothly
Hosed down the head compartment
Left at cabin lights breaker on to charge iPad

Boat Check


Forward cabin 70° | 60% | dry cubbies | bilges sponge wet
Aft cabin 60° | 50% | dry cubbies
Epoxy from last week looks and feels solid.
Vacuumed forward bilges to Dusty dry. Charged drill batteries.
Battery 14+ volts on solar alone.
Replaced mule in sail bag.



Aft cabin 78° | 30% | cubbies dry
Forward cabin
Replaced or tightened hose claps on gas line due to observed leak at filter.
Installed new green fenders forward, removed old one for cleaning
Soaked starboard scuppers and forward hatch with rot fix epoxy

Family Sail


Aft cabin 60° | 55° dry cubbies
Forward cabin 62 % | 70° dry cubbies
Waited for rain to pass, then set of under power with 5 on board: Em, Will, H., J., Ellie.
Morris to Hope island, grabbed mooring at northwest sue and went ashore in the kayaks. Saw deer, collected crab shells, meet the new caretaker, Crista. Rain returned as we paddled back to the boat. Returned to Boston harbor in the rain with no wind. Filled all fuel tanks.N_a03369e512a65b3682b893ea3e76e6b7