Thanks to a lot of help from John Prentice I was able to replace the centerboard on Pineapple Express (SR31 #105).
I posted some photos in an album, and shared with the Searunner group.
This was a pretty standard board, built mostly to plans, but a little thin and without the split hose padding — the original builder made the boat’s centerboard trunk narrower than plans, so the old board was always a tight fit.
3 sheets 3/8″ marine grade okume plywood
2 gallons system three silver tip epoxy
36 feet x 50″ fiberlay 3.6 oz cloth
2″ pvc tubing
3/4″ pvc tubing with caps
- How we did it
Laminated 3x 3/8″ Marine plywood
Laid grid with pencil
Drew shape with pencil
Made foil jig from thick plywood
Draw contours with grid
Cut guide grooves with skill saw and foil jig
Shaved edges down with power plane
Indented around pivot point
Filled low spots with thickened epoxy
Laid first layer of 3.6 oz cloth dry
Lapped over 2″ on leading edge, kept trailing edge loose
Laid 2nd layer of cloth wet
Painted on cover coat
Flip and repeat
Fair the trailing edge with thick epoxy
Thickener coat 12 oz with silica
2x thin gloss coats 6oz each
Bevel trailing edge 10° to one side to prevent oscillation
Sand, wash weigh (98lbs) and cure 3 days
halyard lift 33′ from tack pin to halyard shackle when touching aloft
Gooseneck is 4.5″ with 4 screws. Max lift on gooseneck is 9″ until you hit the sail track.
Sail track is 0.75″ on the mast, with 0.5 x 0.75″ slugs on the boom.
As someone who rode out 2 hurricanes, one with a 10 ft tidal surge, on a 33 ft. former ferry boat where the engine had to be kept at half throttle in forward just to keep the mooring from dragging, some “duds” are devoutly to be wished for.
The Spindrift was the former Bustin’s Island ferry before Dad bought it, removed about a third of the sitting area and built a flying bridge and forward cabin. This harrowing exploit took place in the Royal River just off of Alec Twombly’s boat yard. It wasn’t called a marina in those days. Joe and I alternated duty. The river was running so swiftly that we had to use an outhaul arrangement to get back and forth to the Spindrift. Fortunately Dad had filled the fuel tank (must have been 50 or more gallons) before the storm. Good thing as the gas pumps on shore were flooded over. I ought to see what Joe remembers of this. It was in the fall of 1956 I think because Jamie was in the Marine Corps.
Great fall sailing on pineapple
Forward cabin 50° 85%
Aft cabin 50° 80%
10 ml water in port and star board aft cubbies
Drips in head from hatch
Battery 13 volts solar only
Hot and still on the water today. Ned a fan our two in the at cabin.
A little compressed air cleared out the cooling system on the motor.
Talked with Bruce of Legacy (across the fairway) over burgers in the shade.
Thought I would spend the weekend sailing, but actually, what I really value bachelor weekends for is epoxy. It’s bad for kids, need hot weather to cure properly, and holds my boat together.
So this weekend I glued in a new stop plate for the cockpit locker, reamed out a bit of rot around the anchor hatch, and patched up a dime-sized chunk taken out of the port ama bow by a passing Bayliner.
The System3 Rotfix was, as usual, way too drippy. Smiths CPES is clearly better for rot and for sealing. System 3 with silica and wood filler held off long enough to work well on the bow patch. But system 3’s caulking gun tube didn’t do so well for the cockpit locker – wasn’t fully set on schedule and came loose when clamps removed. West system 610 looks better for the caulk gun.
I also pulled out the forward window, and was pleased to find no rot or issues underneath. Now I’ll have to have a replacement made with 2″ of extra all around, and bend it to a 2″ camber over the length of the window.
Forward cabin 80° | 45% | dry cubbies
Aft cabin 72° | 41° | starboard cubby wet
Electrical system 14v on solar alone
Boat looks clean and happy
Plans to free center board pennant, empty head and fill fresh water went smoothly
Hosed down the head compartment
Left at cabin lights breaker on to charge iPad
Forward cabin 70° | 60% | dry cubbies | bilges sponge wet
Aft cabin 60° | 50% | dry cubbies
Epoxy from last week looks and feels solid.
Vacuumed forward bilges to Dusty dry. Charged drill batteries.
Battery 14+ volts on solar alone.
Replaced mule in sail bag.